Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A BLOG IS BORN


Bright & Fruity Salad 

1-2 Cups spring mix or lettuce of your choice 
1 mandarin orange (I used a honey-mandarin) 
3 Strawberries, chopped 
1/2 Avocado sliced 
Dressing:
1 Tablespoons good quality olive oil 
Squeeze of lemon
Pinch of salt




FINALLY! A place to share my recipes, nutrition beliefs, and holistic lifestyle tips. If you like what you see on Instagram and Facebook, follow me here for MORE!  Soon you'll find that I have a lot to say. My Husband will probably appreciate my new space to blabber, as it might give his ears a rest.

For those of you that do not know me personally, I'd like to share a little background. 
I have loved food and cooking all of my life. Fresh out of High School, I attended culinary school at The Art Institute of Las Vegas. From there, I traveled and lived all around America, like some sort of Chef-Gypsy. I am classically trained, I've been privileged with great opportunities in different kitchens, received many accolades for my work, became a published food writer, and loved every minute of that crazy life. So, how'd I cross over to the nutrition side? I battled personal health issues for many years and dabbled in nutrition research along the way. Each year, learning more and becoming more proactive about my health. After being diagnosed with Endometriosis and labeled "infertile" I decided to take matter into my own hands. With nutrition as my armor, I overcame the disabling symptoms of Endometriosis, powered through a Chemo treatment like a champ, brought my thyroid levels back to normal, and improved my infertility enough to conceive my precious little girl. I truly believe in the healing powers of food and I've seen the proof in the puddin'. 

I'm a foodie first and foremost. I also lived in a rural and locally sustainable town for a few years where I learned to hunt, gather, share with my neighbor, support the local economy, and farm. These are the experiences that lead me to my eating habits and nutrition beliefs. From there, I created the "True American Diet" which is the way that I eat and the way I counsel my clients. The diet is made up of only organic foods. It excludes most processed grains, GMO's, processed foods, anything with added hormones, added sugar, and so on. It teaches a way to eat the foods you have available to you locally, which improves your health, lifestyle, and your local economy. It is a way to naturally reduce inflammation, which is a leading cause of disease, illness, and general pain in Americans. The True American Diet will improve your health, help you manage your weight, prevent disease, allow for a healthy and satisfied life, and will support American agriculture. You will never go hungry, you will never count calories, you will cook at home more often, and your meals will be satisfying. If you have dipped your toes in any of the paleo, anti-inflammatory, vegan, vegetarian, carb-free, "clean eating" or other diets, you will enjoy the True American Diet. 
All of the recipes and food inspiration you'll be seeing on this blog are approved for the True American Diet. 

I do specialize in nutrition for weight loss, Endometriosis, infertility, ovarian disorders, pregnancy, postpartum weight loss, and autoimmune disease. However, I would love to help anyone in need of a lifestyle change. I offer 6-week weight loss programs, customized nutrition programs, and 3 or 6 month 24/7 counseling services. Email me if you or someone you know might be interested! mandmwellnessca@gmail.com 

With that said, here's that Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe I promised you...


Cauliflower Pizza Crust 

1 head of cauliflower
2 Eggs
4 Tablespoons Brown Rice Flour 
2 Tablespoons flaxseed meal 
salt and pepper
dried basil, oregano (as much as you like) 
1 teaspoon onion powder 

  • Grate the cauliflower florets into a bowl and add a splash of water. 
  • Steam or microwave for 4 minutes. 
  • Dump out onto a towel and ring it out as much as you can, getting rid of the excess water. 
  • Once the water is drained and the cauliflower has cooled a bit, place back in the bowl. 
  • Add remaining ingredients and mix well. 
  • Dump dough out onto a greased (I grease with canola/coconut oil blend) baking sheet or pizza stone and form into a circle, about 1/2 inch thick. 
  • Bake for 12 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. 
  • Remove from the oven and add your sauce and toppings. 
  • Return to the oven and bake for another 7-10 minutes or until the pizza toppings and crust are cooked to your liking. 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Malorie! I can't wait to enjoy reading your blogs in the morning with my coffee in hand! Aunt Suzie can call it! We are SO much alike ! And I love this recipe! It's one of our favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to be finally doing it! I agree, seems like were kindred spirits. Can't wait to meet you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited to follow your blog. I've been trying to find good resources for feeding my family and my kids the right, healthy way that still tastes good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! I'm glad you found me. Keep checking back with me here, I'm just beginning but there is lots more to come!

      Delete